Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More Shopping

I have to admit it...I'm not much of a girl when it comes to shopping.  Maybe it would be different if we were millionaires and I could just buy whatever I wanted and never have to work, however, we're just not that lucky  :)

I went shopping again today to look at bathroom lights and continue my hunt for bathroom vanities that aren't out of a box.  Don't get me wrong...there is NOTHING wrong with a vanity out of a box...I'm just looking for something that's a little more "me".

The options were pretty blazay to say the least...

When I got back home I went on a hunt for something to use as stair treads.  The flooring that we picked is handscraped antique walnut....GORGEOUS!!  However, I just can't see putting up nice new stair treads to go with it!  That's NOT the mix of old and new that I'm looking for!  So I went scrounging in the barn and here's what I found...(ok, so I knew it was there...just hadn't thought about using it for stair treads!)

About 12 years ago my Dad had some old oak trees rough cut on the property.  It's been drying in the barn loft since...so it could be perfect to use!

I drug home a smaller piece to try as a sample.  Found this one about 4' long and only about 8" wide.

Here's a closeup after I sanded on it with the belt sander for awhile....I LOVE how it's still got marks from the sawmill.  I know we can buy oak treads for $20 each...and I'm sure you're wondering...what kind of idiot tries to make their own stair treads....wellllll..... :)

I'm going to be honest, I don't always (or EVER) make rational decisions when it comes to projects and how much work they will be.  I'd really prefer that we use rough cut walnut for the treads, but that may not be possible...and since we're reusing the oak flooring that was upstairs down in the basement, then I still think that I could make this work.  Who cares if it takes me days, lol!




No comments:

Post a Comment