Monday, May 20, 2013

Kitchen Backsplash Time

FINALLY it's time to install the kitchen backsplash.  We decided to go with a small subway tile.  A simple style that is classic & classy.  These little tiles are 2x4ish in side.  They came on a sheet that worked out to be about a square foot for an easier & quicker install, the tiles are connected with little glue dots to hold their spacing.  We purchased these at Home Depot for a really good price, however, I wasn't happy with the spacing on each sheet of tiles (imagine that, lol)  The spacing just wasn't cohesive and that only creates a problem for my OCD :)  Soooo..what's a girl to do??  CUT THEM ALL APART!!!  First I wanted to check how the spacing would be and how many tiles I could get in a single row, what I'd need to cut to make it even on both ends, etc.  Well...

Can you believe that they worked out pretty much PERFECTLY with my 3/16" spacers?
We're talking NO CUTS in the first row....so we'll just need half tiles to start and finish every other row.  HOW CAN THAT WORK OUT SO WELL???

See...wasn't kidding...I really did cut apart 30 sheets of tiles, lol.

We paid less than $3 a sheet (including tax) so I guess the extra manual labor makes them work out to be about $5 a sheet, lol.  Which honestly is still not bad!

I also laid out my options for the laundry/clutter room backsplash.
I'm thinking the marble is going to win out on this one....
but that travertine & brown granite is going to have to go somewhere in the basement...because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!

We did a little adjusting on the pocket doors and started trimming them out today too.
I'm starting to see why we don't get anything done...what's that, 3 projects so far for today?

It is kinda nice to have doors that slide into the walls though :)

Wonder how well these bad boys will block out the sound of the washer & dryer?
and I wonder how long it will be before we actually HAVE a washer & dryer installed, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment