Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Floor to Ceiling

You had to know by now that I couldn't just leave the cabinets alone  :)  on the laundry side of the clutter room the cabinets were 93" tall and on the pantry side they were only about 90" tall.  Because I love the look of "built in" cabinets, we decided to extend the tops of the cabinets so that we can run the crown moulding all the way around the room and across the top of the cabinets.  They should look completely built in by the time we're done.

We added a 5 1/2" piece of MDF to the top of the pantry side.  We built little brackets and installed them on the tops of the cabinets so that we'd have something sturdy to nail this piece into.

I caulked all of the ocrners and filled, sanded, primed and sanded again all of the nail holes.

It looks kind of funny right now, but I'll add some detail moulding that will hide the seam of the top of the cabinet and the 5 1/2" piece of trim.  

We didn't have nearly as much to fill on top of the laundry side.  Hopefully it won't be too obvious when it's all done.  Or maybe I can put a little saying in that blank area on top of the pantry side so it doesn't stand out so much.

Full shot of the pantry side.  This will all get caulked & primed after I put those detail pieces up....then I can paint again!  WHEW!  I think I should have stock in the paint company!!

No comments:

Post a Comment